Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Truthful Tuesday: I Don't Know How I Feel About The Zimmerman Verdict

Since the verdict was read in the Zimmerman case, I haven't been able to come to a conclusion on how I feel about it.

Being a rational human being, I want to be upset. I should be angry. A grown man shot and killed and unarmed teenager and was allowed to walk free. Mind you, this whole situation could have been avoided had George Zimmerman simply followed the instructions that were given to him. This whole situation could have been avoided had he not confronted Trayvon. This whole situation could have been avoided had he had an ounce of honor. Seriously, everyone knows that it's a bitch move to shoot an unarmed person. Who cares if you were getting your ass beat in a fight, shooting a person who doesn't so much have even a knife is a coward's way out. If Zimmerman had run away, that would have been more honorable.

But I digress...

Then I look at how the case was presented. This is America and you're innocent until proven guilty. (Supposedly.) Well, the prosecution did not do their job of doing just that. You can say that they overcharged, you can say that their case was flawed, whatever. At the end of the day, the prosecution did not prove that George Zimmerman was guilty of second-degree murder. They also failed to prove that he was guilty of manslaughter. Mr. Zimmerman stood by his claim that he shot and killed Trayvon Martin in self-defense. Say what you will, but this is the system that we have. This is the system that 'worked' for OJ Simpson. This is the system that 'worked' for Casey Anthony. Compound that with the lack of physical evidence, the lack of witnesses, and the only account of that night being that of the defendant's, and I can't say I was completely surprised with the outcome.

But more than being angry or sad, I think I'm just flat out disappointed.

I'm disappointed that we have yet another name and scenario to add to this seemingly never ending list. I'm disappointed in the behavior and words and actions of many people - on both sides of this case - after the verdict was read. I'm disappointed in the racial undertones that this case has been mired in from the start. I'm disappointed in the double standards that not so secretly exist. I'm disappointed in the lack of good judgement on that fateful night last year. I'm disappointed in the general lack of respect that people have for each other.

So what do I feel? Anger? Sadness? Disappointment? Confusion?

I think it's a bit of all of above. Unfortunately, with all of those emotions mixed up in there, it's been difficult for me to pull the proper lesson(s) from this. Sadly, I'm sure that I'm not the only person who feels this way.

2 comments:

  1. Andrew Stanforth9:51 AM, July 17, 2013

    well put, disappointed is a good way to describe this, the situation, the case, the media, the publicity, the responses for and against from our friends on facebook. Of course we weren't there and we didn't get all the details the jurors did. If we start over and we would be jurors I'm not really sure exactly what we could do differently. I think people are disappointed we don't get to try cases in the court of public opinion. It was a lose - lose from the start and that is not a statement on whether I agree or disagree with the verdict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happened across your blog and felt the need to comment on your post. Frankly, I am more than disappointed. I am heartsick for the Martin family. Surely Trayvon's life was more important than a not guilty verdict. Only two people know what really happened that night. Sadly one of them is gone. I will always believe Trayvon was profiled and Zimmerman lied. I cannot look at the face of Trayvon without seeing the faces of my brown grandsons. It could have been either of them who were targeted. I fear for their safety more than ever in this crazy world.

    ReplyDelete

Speak up. Join (or start) the conversation. You know you want to.